Monday 8 June 2015

Why Social Media is Toxic For Your "Chilled" Weekend


I've been feeling a bit 'meh' these past few weeks, not particularly sad but not my chirpy self either. I think the whole big exciting city move has calmed down and now I'm just feeling a bit, dare I say it..l-o-n-e-l-y which is crazy because I'm a a city of so many.


My positive attitude seems to have run away and I'm looking for it everywhere but with no luck. I went home (again) this weekend and I decided I'm not going to stop posting because I'm not feeling happy and energetic- I said this blog was about the space in my life of my twenties so it would only be right if I was completely truthful and posted about times that are feeling a little shitty as well as fabulous. That's just how life is right? 

So without further ado, this week I'm back and I'm going to be writing an article style post about:
'Why Social Media is Toxic For Your "Chilled" Weekend'

1) Twitter Pressure
It's Friday afternoon, the clocks ticking and the 'FRI-YAY' Tweets are starting to flood your timeline, you've sent your texts around and the harsh reality that everyone has plans minus you looms over like a grey cloud. The dreaded Friday pressure. Anywhere else and the thought of a chilled Friday evening might sound like heaven, but when you're in London and you know the city is lighting up, you kind of feel defeated by trudging on the tube home. 

2) Text slang: No plans= "Chilled"
The subject of having no plans at the weekend seems totally taboo if you're my age. I do it myself! The word that's been everyones saving grace at some point "Just having a chilled one tonight." Why are we so embarrassed to tell others we feel totally alone? 

3) Instagram Boasters
We're all guilty of it, it's what the Gram was made for. When you're having a fun time and you're somewhere cool with all your lovely friends, it's photo op galore. Sitting in on your own scrolling through hundreds of photos and captions such as 'Best weekend ever' and 'best girls together at the weekend' like seriously, stop rubbing salt in the wounds of all the girls in their pyjamas at 9.30pm. *me, bitter?*

4) Drunken Snapchats
This is a particularly sore one. You've dealt with the fact you're spending the night alone and decided a catch up on sleep will be a great idea only to be welcomed in the morning by a flood of snapchats, sure most of them are annoying club music that sounds canny and gross but it's just another reminder that you're the only girl in the world who didn't go to 'that club/party' last night. 

5) Facebook Proof
Just in case you might have missed all of the above, don't worry. Facebook will soon be flooded with the onslaught of the weekend you missed out on. Expect status updates, timeline comments that are cryptic to understand because 'you had to be there' and 'So and So' has been tagged in 47 photos. 

The moral of the story is; When you find yourself being a Billy no mates one weekend, avoid your social media accounts and if you do catch yourself scrolling at everyone having a wild time without you remember that you're only seeing the best bits! You're not the only one and when you're being the 'weekend uploader' some poor girl will be scrolling lusting after your fun weekend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment